Acting Justice Dean Mildren
Dean Mildren was appointed as an Acting Judge of the Supreme Court in February 2013.
Prior to this appointment His Honour had been a permanent Judge of the Supreme Court between June 1991 and February 2013.
His Honour was admitted to the Supreme Court of South Australia in 1968 and the Northern Territory in 1970. He practised as a barrister and solicitor in Adelaide between 1968 and 1971 and in Darwin between 1972 and 1980.
His Honour joined the independent bar in 1980 and was appointed as one of Her Majesty’s Counsel in 1983.
His Honour’s other appointments have included:
- Chairman of NT Planning Appeal Committee 1979-1985
- Deputy Chairman of Legal Practitioners Complaints Committee 1983-1988
- President of the Law Society NT 1973-75; 1979-1981
- President of the NT Bar Association 1987-1991
- Vice President of the Australian Bar Association 1989-1990
- President of the NT Law Reform Committee 1991-1997
- Chairman of the NT Council of Law Reporting 1991-1995; 1999-2012
- Military service in the Army Legal Corps 1974-1996 including service as a Defence Force Magistrate (1986-1991) and as a Judge Advocate (1986-1996) rising to the rank of Colonel . Awarded RFD and Bar in 1995
- Member of the Defence Force Discipline Appeal Tribunal 1996-2013
- Part time lecturer NT University and Charles Darwin University 1997-2012
- Adjunct Professor of Law 1997-2002
- Commissioner of the High Court of the Solomon Islands 2016-2017
His Honour is the author of several publications including:
- Northern Territory Judgments 1918-1950 NTU Press 2001
- Big Boss Fella All Same Judge Federation Press 2011
- The Appellate Jurisdiction of the Courts Federation Press 2015
- R v Murdoch- the Falconio Case Lexis Nexis Butterworths 2015
- Numerous articles in various journals and other works