The Honourable Alan Bruce Keith Ian Bridge
Alan Bridge served as a Justice of the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory from 1961 to 1966.
Justice Bridge was born on 8 August 1908 at Mosman in New South Wales and was educated at St Ignatius College in Riverview. In 1933 he began studying at the University of Sydney and graduated with a Batchelor of Laws with Honours in 1936 and won the Pitt Corbett Prize for Constitutional Law in 1934.
Justice Bridge was called to the Bar in 1939 and was a member of the Intelligence Division of the Royal Australian Navy from 1939 to 1942.
He married Eleanor Dalton (dec.) in 1940 and, after her death, married Margaret Farrell on 25 August 1945.
After being discharged from the Navy on 27 August 1942, he returned to practice in Sydney and was Senior Lecturer in Commercial Law and Challis Lecturer in Procedure at the University of Sydney.
Justice Bridge was appointed as a Queen's Counsel in 1955 and was President of the Australian Institute of Company Directors from 1960 to 1961.
Following Justice Kriewaldt's death in 1960, the Supreme Court was reconstituted under the Commonwealth Act and Justice Bridge was the first appointee under the new Act.
Justice Bridge was the last judge to occupy the Sydney Williams Hut in Mitchell Street and the first Judge to occupy the new premises on the corner of Mitchell and Herbert Streets in 1965.
Justice Bridge also served as a Justice of the Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory from 1964 to 1966.
Justice Bridge died in Sydney on 28 July 1966.