Supreme Court of the Northern Territory - Notice #2
NOTICE #2 TO PRACTITIONERS, LITIGANTS
AND THE VISITING PUBLIC-COVID-19
20 MARCH 2020
The Supreme Court will be adopting the following procedures in relation to the categories of hearing set out below. Procedures otherwise remain unchanged.
Pre-trial hearings, mentions and directions hearings
- Approximately one week out from the listing the Presiding Judge’s Associate will make contact with the parties to advise that the matter will be heard by audio-visual link (if facilities are available in the practitioners’ offices) or telephone. The parties should provide their contact details to the Presiding Judge’s Associate and the relevant Registry no later than 4:00pm two business days prior to the listing.
- Where it is a criminal matter, the accused will be excused from attending if legally represented.
- In the event the parties are in agreement that the matter can be dealt with by consent, the parties may submit their request and the proposed orders by email to the Presiding Judge’s Associate for consideration by the Judge, who may grant leave for the matter to be dealt with in Chambers and make the orders.
- A party who wishes the matter to proceed by face-to-face hearing rather than by audio-visual or telephone hearing may submit a brief outline by email to the Presiding Judge’s Associate explaining the reasons for that position and the Judge may determine that counsel should appear in person.
- Approximately one week out from the listing the Presiding Judge’s Associate will make contact with the parties to advise that where the accused is remanded in custody he or she will appear by audio-visual link from the prison.
- In the event of any clash with another plea at that time which will also be conducted by audio-visual link from the same prison some adjustment of the hearing times may be required.
- A party who wishes the accused to appear in person rather than audio-visual link may submit a brief outline by email to the Presiding Judge’s Associate explaining the reasons for that position.
- This notice will be updated as the circumstances require.