Supreme Court and Local Court of the Northern Territory - Notice #6
25 May 2020
NOTICE #6 TO PRACTITIONERS, LITIGANTS
AND THE VISITING PUBLIC-COVID-19
25 May 2020
- The Supreme Court will resume the conduct of jury trials from Monday, 22 June 2020. In making that determination, the Court has consulted with the Chief Health Officer, the Director of Public Prosecutions, NTLAC, NAAJA and the President of the Bar Association. The Sheriff’s Office has developed and will implement a Jury Safety Protocol for the conduct of trials.
- Any difficulties with witnesses subject to travel restrictions in matters listed for trial will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis at pre-trial hearings.
- The public counters for the Civil Registry and Sheriff’s Office in Darwin, and the public counter for the Supreme Court Registry in Alice Springs, will reopen on Monday, 15 June 2020.
- Temporary Practice Direction 1 of 2020 for electronic filing in civil matters will continue until the commencement of electronic filing under Odyssey Integrated Case Management System (currently scheduled for October 2020).
- Temporary Practice Direction 2 of 2020 for electronic filing or lodgement in criminal matters will continue with amendments to give practitioners the option of filing or lodging in that form.
- Persons in custody will continue to appear by audiovisual link except at trial. A party who wishes the accused to appear in person may submit a brief outline by email to the Presiding Judge’s Associate explaining the reasons for the request and the Judge may grant the application.
- Pre-trial hearings, mentions and directions hearings will revert to face-to-face hearing from Monday, 1 June 2020. A party who wishes the matter to proceed by audio-visual or telephone hearing rather than face-to-face may submit a brief application by email to the Presiding Judge’s Associate explaining the reasons for the request and the Judge may grant the application.
- Notices #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6 to Practitioners, Litigants and the Visiting Public are amended and rescinded to the extent provided in this Notice.